Saturday, April 11, 2015

Making Culottes for the Girls

Last year at this time, I made Tirzah and Acarith some culottes. A friend of mine named Kristen drew out a simple pattern for me, and the girls have really enjoyed wearing them. Although most of the culottes have survived, they were getting small so I knew it was time to make another batch. The girls and I went to Wal-Mart and they had fun picking out material for their new culottes. I began the project Tuesday afternoon and by last Tuesday night, I had the three pairs in this picture made (the ones they are holding plus what Tirzah is wearing).

I like my sewing system. We have an entertainment center in the dining room, and instead of a TV in the big opening, I have all my sewing stuff in it. I even sew inside it, which is so convenient; I can set aside a project anytime and finish it later.
Here's my confession: I am NOT a sewer. I don't know very much, but thanks to youtube I have been able to learn. No joke-just this last week I had to watch a refresher on making a bobbin because it had been awhile since I sewed! 

By Thursday afternoon I finished the project--yay! I had made 12 pairs, with each one taking anywhere from 45 min. to an hour to make. Since Acarith's favorite color is purple, she loves her purple ones. Tirzah's favorite are the pink leopard ones.

Last year, I made a friend named Kristen. Her girls were wearing culottes, and, of course, Kristen and I talked all about making them; I made sure she understood I didn't know much about sewing! :) She said, "I have an easy pattern. I'll draw one up for you and I'm sure you'll be able to make them." I did need her to walk me through the process over the phone a couple times (thanks Kristen!), but eventually I did catch on and they really were easy to make. Now we're all ready for the warmer weather to come!  

1 comment:

  1. The girls cullottes turned out sooo cute!! For not being a sewer, you sure are good at it! :-) So glad the pattern works for you and has been so useful!! We loved getting to know you last year and enjoy our memories of the time we spent together.

    ReplyDelete